Amazon

Expedia

Friday, September 18, 2009

Airline Change Fees Can Be Dangerous

I was not going to blog on this topic but last night, I heard a story from someone that tried to cancel her flight because of a very bad flu. When she called the airlines to cancel her reservation, they informed her that she would be charged a $175 change fee when she re-scheduled. She can't afford the $175 so she decided to fly on her scheduled flight, possibly infecting hundreds of passengers. This is very dangerous. I can't believe how greedy these airlines can be. According to and airlines spokesperson, they have no plans to change the policies at this time.

Why are they so money hungry? They charge us for every little thing, their fares are skyrocketing, and their service has not improved any over the years. In fact, I have noticed in my recent travels that the service has diminished quite a bit. Something has got to be done. Passengers should be protected from these vultures out to make a lot of money. I can see charging passengers for overweight bags, but they need to be practical. Their recent policy changes regarding fees for your first bag is crazy. It has forced people into taking very large carryon luggage, whish slows down the boarding process. It is simply ridiculous.

The change fee is of most concern. If people will be travelling sick because they cannot afford the change fees, the spread of the H1N1 virus will get worse. I cannot understand how difficult it would be to waive all fees in cases of illness, injury or personal tradegy. This problem will only get worse as airlines try to make up their financial losses on the backs of their customers. I hope this changes soon.

3 comments:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree with you Mel. It has always been about money. I was told that even the pilots are forced to fly knowingly in dangerous weather (chance it) inorder that the company don't loose money. It's gambling with people's lives no matter which way you look at it. I wonder why people continue to fly considering all of the inconviences etc. now days. As for me, I'm happy staying home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, the bottom line in the corporate world is more important then public health and safety. Sad, very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes indeed, sad , very sad.
    check out michael moore's new film-'capitalism, a love story'- on the sad, very sad state of affairs from our corpirate culture.

    ReplyDelete