Amazon

Expedia

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Landfill Selection

Well, congratulations to Mayor Carvalho for making the tough decision to site the new landfill. He promised it in his campaign and he delivered. Many will disagree with the location, but he went along with the committee that was set up to review the options. I have not reviewed all the minutes of the committee meetings but I'm sure they had a lot of discussions over this very tough issue. The Mayor did something that prior Mayors did not have the guts to do. I sincerely appreciate his bold decision to move forward.

Personally, I would have preferred the location up in the area of Wailua Falls, on Ma'alo Road. It is out of the way, near the Kauai Power Plant, and would not affect any existing agricultural operations. Again, I have not reviewed any of the minutes of the committee meetings. I am basing my opinion strictly on information that I had obtained during my 6 years on the Council. Back then, Grove Farm (owner of the Ma'alo Road property) was a willing partner and A&B Properties (owner of the proposed site) was not. I'm not sure if things have changed any but I am very curious to see how this pans out.

It now moves to the Council for discussion. As we roll into an election year, it will be interesting to see how the councilmembers take on this issue. Will a decision be made in an election year? I hope so. This issue has been ignored for too long. Now is the time to move and start the process of building a new landfill.

3 comments:

  1. Mel,

    Where is the new proposed site for the landfill.

    Herman

    ReplyDelete
  2. On A&B lands near the coffee farms in Brydeswood. Just west of Kalaheo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. our concern of the placement is health and enviornmental contemination. we don't have any information regarding if an eis was conducted so it's difficult to agree or disagree. one question comes to mind: isn't that site part of the crown land? IF so, how will that impact the host culture and people? we must never forget that.

    ReplyDelete