Amazon

Expedia

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Football is Finally Here

Well, the time has finally come. It is football season once again. Pop Warner, High School, College and the NFL. It doesn't matter what level, football is a great sport to watch. Boy, I thought football was big in Hawaii. Minnesota is football country. Whether it is the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers or the Minnesota Vikings, these people love their football. It is a shame that the Vikings' first two games are away. I would really like to have watched them play. They play in Detroit this week (Go Jordan) and will be back here to play the 49ers next week. If we are still here, I will watch that game. I'm not much of a Brett Favre fan but Adrian Peterson is an animal. He is simply amazing.

High school football on Kauai will be interesting this year. It appears that Kapaa has it together and Waimea has yet to be seen. I gotta cheer for my alma mater, Kauai High School. It's a lot different watching when your son isn't playing.

College football. Now this will be interesting. My son is a freshman at UNLV. Hawaii is at UNLV this week. Who do I cheer for? Well, I like the Warriors but I think that the Rebels will win the game by a pretty large margin. Hawaii has a lot of work to do, and I don't think that they are ready to face the Rebels yet. Overall, I think USC will be the national champs this year. They are superb.

Why am I discussing football on this blog? Because I love football and it sparks discussions. Just like politics, everyone has opinions on football. This is a great place to air them out. Your thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. well mel, football, like politics, does seem to generate lively discussion and, like politics, it does generate some intense passion and over the top behavior. fan is short for fanatic and fanatical behavior for both politics and football makes for a colorful social commentary. thanks for blogging again. hope your mom is doing fine and the fall weather remains ideal for outdoor football; if winter sets in early i hope you have snow tires. your last adventure to minnesota in winter sounded pretty epic.
    football and sports in general has offered so much for folks over the years besides entertainment. the blending of social classes, races and religion from team sports has helped improve relationships amongst us all. not as divisive as politics. joan conrow wrote a great article on the new waimea football coach and how sports bring people together and provide valueable life lessons for people of all walks. glenn mickens has offered excellent perspective on the value of baseball as a vehicle for racial tolerance because of its decision to allow jackie robinson to play MLB. how messed up would society be if weren't for these opportunities that sports has provided. i think back on some of the coaches i had and the influence they had in my life, especially my dad. keep up the good work, coach.
    peace and safe travels, ........jimmy t

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jimmy. Mom is doing well, you can check her progress at www.jessiesamfong.blogspot.com. I appreciate your comments, as always. I felt that I had to get back to blogging as I was starting to get a lot of phone calls regarding the goings on in the County of Kauai. This is a great way to communicate with lots of people at the same time. Again, thanks and I look forward to some healthy discussions. Aloha.

    ReplyDelete